What To Do When Loved One Has Been Arrested For Immigration Issues

Posted on: 13 December 2018

Immigration can be a touchy subject, even when the law is involved. If you have a loved one who is applying for citizenship but does not yet have a green card, they will have to make sure that they meet certain qualifications at all times. If the proper conditions are not met and the proper paperwork as not been turned in, there is a chance that your loved one can be taken in by immigration officials. If your loved one has been arrested due to their immigration status, here are three things that you can do to work on their case and free them in the meantime. 

Find a bail bond company that offers immigration bonds

There are times where a person who is being held by immigration authorities can be released on bail. Find an attorney for your family member who can make an appeal to the judge to be granted bail. If they are granted a bail amount, you can then go to a bail bond office that offers immigration bonds. The process for signing an immigration bail bond is much like the regular bail bond process. Be sure that you bring everything related to the person's case to the bail bond office so that they can determine if the case meets the qualifications. Contact a service, like Alda Pauline's Bail Bonds, for help.

Try to find another legal immigration route

There is more than one route for immigration. Individuals can immigrate if they are sponsored by family, a job, or through investments. If one avenue is taking longer than expected or if the avenue seems to be closing, your relative's attorney can help them find another path towards citizenship. Some paths, such as getting a visa through an eligible job, can be a quick process to get started. Exploring all methods of making sure your relative has long-term citizenship can stop deportation. 

Find out if a visa extension is possible

If your loved one is here on a visa, they may be able to get a visa extension. A visa to enter the country makes it legal for one person to be in the country for that duration. Find out if your loved one can apply for an ordinary visa or a visa extension before they get started on any other part of the case. The visa can mean that your loved one is safe from going to jail at any other time after they are released, provided that they break no laws. A simple extension can get your loved one back on good legal footing.